[vcf-midatlantic] Found: VMS Hobbyist CDs

Jonathan Gevaryahu jgevaryahu at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 15:05:28 EDT 2017

AFAIK OSes which require drives with '512 byte blocks' is sort of a scsi
hack.
The physical data on the cd surface is 2048 byte blocks (plus ECC and
subchannel data you don't normally see for 2532 bytes per sector, plus
headers and sync marks etc)
The whole 512 byte thing is a special mode certain cd drives have which
sends each 2048 byte block to the host computer as if it was four
separate 512 byte blocks/sectors, but its really just a translation
layer. Not all drives do it.

The actual CD contents for these VMS cds are 2048 byte blocks, the 512
byte magic happens in the drive, AFAIK.

I could be wrong about this.

--
Jonathan Gevaryahu