[vcf-midatlantic] Head alignment tape

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 15 20:11:56 EDT 2017

On 06/15/2017 06:57 PM, Duane Craps via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> This past work session Bill Dromgoole applied power to the museum's
> UNIVAC 1540 Magnetic Tape Unit. There were problems but just seeing the
> indicators lit up is good progress. I wonder if anyone has a 800 BPI,
> NRZ  Master Head Alignment Tape (skew tape) to donate to VCF. Since we
> are not likely to ever run into a commercial tape I guess I could tweak
> the handlers to mach each other if they even require alignment but, it
> would be better to be able to do it the right way.

  I have a skew tape that I can loan you, but I will need it back.  I'll
have to double check what type it is.

> Also could use some
> blank or good used tapes. It might be a long time before we need them
> but it would be nice to have them available.

  I donated several dozen once-used tapes about two years ago.  They are
packed in white banker's boxes; Jeff Brace would know where they went I
think.  I have many more and can send them over if needed.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA