[vcf-midatlantic] Head alignment tape

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Sat Jun 17 11:37:02 EDT 2017

 > UNIVAC 1540 Magnetic Tape Unit...I wonder if anyone has a 800 BPI,
 > NRZ Master Head Alignment Tape (skew tape) to donate to VCF.

7 track or 9 track? The Univacs are pretty old even for "vintage".

Also, as Dave McGuire noted, a lightly-used tape from a known-good drive
will be useful. In the floppy-disk world, I use several diskettes each
from a known good drive to validate "alignment".

Seems to me, there's likely several boxes of mag-tapes in the inventory.

Herb
http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net