[vcf-midatlantic] Head alignment tape

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Sat Jun 17 12:41:06 EDT 2017

Responding to Dave McGuire. He did not suggest using ordinary mag-tapes
for alignment. My slight confusion: he posted that he donated several
once-used tapes. Those would be of use for what he calls "rough
alignment", which was part of my suggestion based on my 8-inch floppy
drive experiences.

I did not make the additional point, that most 8-inch floppy drives I
find, have no small alignment problems, they have larger problems. Like
dirty or worn heads, serious alignment issues, broken electronics, wrong
jumper configurations, on and on. Many work OK without touching alignments.

Point being, getting an original alignment disk (or mag tape), to fuss
with something not broken - until you tweak it - may not be the best
strategy. Whereas, reading a set of known-good diskettes (tapes) from
several sources, confirms by statistics the alignment, and not just "it
works with what I write". and it reduces risk of use, of those alignment
media.

The analogy may not hold. It doesn't matter, either an appropriate tape
will be found, and used; or not. I'm just offering a path forward, with
tools at hand. Dave already said he provided written-once tapes. That's
good, there's no residual tracks from previous use on previous media, no
likely wear, etc. I am not unfamiliar with mag-tapes.

herb

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net