[vcf-midatlantic] Head align Tape

Duane Craps DBC1964 at cox.net
Sat Jun 17 20:19:52 EDT 2017

>>> 7 track or 9 track? The Univacs are pretty old even for "vintage".

Head alignment tapes are not track specific. They have one track the
width of the tape and are used to adjust time delays to time align the
bits coming off the read head when reading the alignment tape. Then a
"scratch tape" is used while writing all ones to adjust the write delays
while looking at the read amps. We used the same alignment tape for 7
and 9 track units.

Duane