[vcf-midatlantic] A little personal milestone

Evan Koblentz evan at vcfed.org
Sun Jun 18 22:23:57 EDT 2017

>     All you really need to know is this:
>
>      8  4  2  1    Hex    Dec    Oct
>      -------------------------------
>      0  0  0  0     0      0      0
>      0  0  0  1     1      1      1
>      0  0  1  0     2      2      2
>      0  0  1  1     3      3      3
>      0  1  0  0     4      4      4
>      0  1  0  1     5      5      5
>      0  1  1  0     6      6      6
>      0  1  1  1     7      7      7
>      1  0  0  0     8      8     10
>      1  0  0  1     9      9     11
>      1  0  1  0     A     10     12
>      1  0  1  1     B     11     13
>          1  1  0  0     C     12     14
>      1  1  0  1     D     13     15
>      1  1  1  0     E     14     16
>      1  1  1  1     F     15     17
>

>     Want to convert a hex number to binary?  Just decode each hex digit
> (I know, it's not really a digit) to its 4-bit binary equivalent, left
> to right:
>
>      e.g. B5 hex => 10110101 binary
>
>     Want to convert that to an octal number?  Just group the bits by
> threes, starting with the Least Significant Bits (LSB), then insert the
> octal equivalent for each group of three:
>
>      10 110 101 => 265 octal

That's the problem. These things are usually taught in big charts of
numbers. It is a question of learning styles. I stare at these charts
and my eyes glaze over! Can't do it. But when you put me in front of the
panel and you showed me how there's a 4s place, 2s place, and 1s place,
that made perfect sense. Just flip the switches that add up to the
instruction for each set. I can do that.