[vcf-midatlantic] CHIP, was Re: WiFi RS-232 Internet Modem

Dan Roganti ragooman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 06:57:14 EDT 2017

about the power,
we had this discussion not too long ago - forget which email list,
almost all of these ARM/Linux SBC's are configurable to reduce power
consumption
Devices such as the hmdi, wifi, etc can be shut off to save a tremendous
amount of power,
especially if running on a battery, and if you run headless, so this is a
non-issue.

about the supply,
That is one area where I think it has been a cluster f at ck,
The Pi Zero has only 2 distributors in the whole country,
Micro Center and AdaFruit -- that's it - not even Amazon can score a
distribution on the Pi Zero.
This is the most crazy strategy ever.
They did improve their production line, where the USA is allotted 50K units
per month
So the supply chain has been improved since 2015, but the distribution
channels still suck

about unnecessary devices,
if they can sell/make the Pi Zero for only $5, I'm not going to complain.
There's no way in hell most of us are going to beat that price-point
Unless I want to burn a hole in my wallet[and my ass] to buy 10,000 parts
to beat the volume price
I'm surprised one would complain why they markup the Pi Zero-W 200% now
with the onboard Wifi,
Clearly another marketing strategy to compete with the CHIP
so now it's $10, whoop-dee-doo. it's still a viable OEM supplier for
low-run production companies

about EOL,
They RPi folks have done a great job with their product line versus the
Kickstarter funded groups.
They still keep selling their very first RPi model A after 5yrs
Now that's diligence and loyalty to their customers

FYI,
Intel just discontinued all of their ARM/Linux SBC's
Edison, Galileo, and Joule -- poof !
Dan