[vcf-midatlantic] Intel Dev Boards, was CHIP

Connor Krukosky connork at connorsdomain.com
Wed Jun 21 06:27:38 EDT 2017

On 6/20/2017 6:57 AM, Dan Roganti via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

> about EOL,
> They RPi folks have done a great job with their product line versus the
> Kickstarter funded groups.
> They still keep selling their very first RPi model A after 5yrs
> Now that's diligence and loyalty to their customers
>
> FYI,
> Intel just discontinued all of their ARM/Linux SBC's
> Edison, Galileo, and Joule -- poof !
> Dan

I was actually going to bring this up but decided not to, now that
someone has though...
I actually own a Joule, got it for Christmas, very expensive little
board but its quite powerful and tiny!
Though it throttles badly without the included heat-sink which makes the
what was tiny module large...
The Joule was only released last September I think!!! Less than a year
and it's dead!

The Edison and Galileo I EXPECTED to get killed off at some-point...
The Galileo was never super well received and just never found a place.
The Edison while a neat concept never made it far...
The Joule, was NEVER targeted at hobbyist really, it was targeted for
embedded applications.
So I am really surprised that they axed that, especially being so young,
I guess it was in the same department as the other two...

Though Intel is probably doing this to make budget to play catch-up with
AMD :P

-Connor K