[vcf-midatlantic] CHIP, was Re: WiFi RS-232 Internet Modem

David Riley fraveydank at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 09:59:41 EDT 2017

On Jun 22, 2017, at 12:06 AM, RETRO Innovations via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:

> I was watching, but I have not see anyone mention the Omega 2:
>
> https://onion.io/omega2/
>
> $6.00 for the base unit, very small, and looks pretty full featured.

That's an interesting device.  I didn't know MediaTek made MIPS SoCs; I've only seen ARMs from them. That's a potential ESP32 killer for at least some applications, though probably not for anything real-time if you're running Linux on it (nothing that says you can't run FreeRTOS, though).

I'm so glad to see so many companies making cheap embedded-ish devices targeted toward hobbyists in the last 5 years (and we can thank Arduino and Raspberry Pi for being the catalysts, IMO).  I had all but given up hope on computing as a general hobby and embedded development in specific.  Maybe we'll have a new generation of actual engineers instead of Java/PHP jockeys in a few years.

- Dave