[vcf-midatlantic] Intel dropping their IoT platforms (was re: CHIP, WiFi RS-232)

Jeffrey Jonas jeffrey.scott.jonas at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 02:28:42 EDT 2017

[this is 'on topic' because these systems are used to retrofit
vintage/legacy systems, as well as for emulators such as the PiDP-8]

The Raspberry Pi and CHIP seem to be the clear "winners"
despite supply/supplier problems.
I am disappointed that the BBC MicroBit is not on the top-ten list
despite their dedication to education and STEM/STEAM.
They're kinda available in the USA.

Circuit Cellar has always been full of SBC (single board computers),
now SoC (Sytem on Chip) and such.

Others mentioned the Omega 2 https://onion.io/omega2/
and VoCore http://vocore.io/#store

They're cheap, but how about FREE?
Just re-purpose your old routers with dd-wrt, open-wrt and such.

A friend and I tried one of the Orange Pi variations
and were disappointed. Very little community support,
few distros work at all.

I'm extremely disappointed with Intel totally dropping
their Edison and Joule development systems,
particularly with all the nationwide Hack-A-Thons using the Edison hardware.
It wasn't just the hardware, but all the "technology evangelists"
and support engineers to indoctrinate folks to the Intel/Linux way.
I'm concerned about the future of Hack-a-Thons with the loss
of Intel as a major underwriter, hardware supplier & technology support.

Despite seeing them on the shelf at MicroCenter,
I never felt that the Intel Galileo gained enough traction.
I spent a week just trying to get a LCD shield running and gave up
because the libraries were all AVR-centric,
and the Arduino development environment
has no concept of using different platforms at the same time
(Intel Galileo, Arduino Explora, Arduino nano).

Intel first lost the embedded market when they gave up
on their X-scale ARM chips, and now they're giving up again?

the news from slashdot:

Intel Quietly Discontinues Galileo, Joule, and Edison Development Boards
https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/17/06/19/1720201/intel-quietly-discontinues-galileo-joule-and-edison-development-boards

Intel is discontinuing its Galileo, Joule, and Edison lineups of
development boards.
The chip-maker quietly made the announcement last week.
>From company's announcement:/Intel Corporation will discontinue
manufacturing and selling all skus of the Intel Galileo development board.
Shipment of all Intel Galileo product skus ordered before the last order date
will continue to be available from Intel until December 16, 2017.
[...] Intel will discontinue manufacturing and selling all skus
of the Intel Joule Compute Modules and Developer Kits
(known as Intel 500 Series compute modules in People's Republic of China).
Shipment of all Intel Joule products skus ordered before the last order date
will continue to be available from Intel until December 16, 2017.
Last time orders (LTO) for any Intel Joule products must be placed with Intel
by September 16, 2017. [...] Intel will discontinue manufacturing
and selling all skus of the Intel Edison compute modules and developer kits.
Shipment of all Intel Edison product skus ordered before the last order date
will continue to be available from Intel until December 16, 2017.
Last time orders (LTO) for any Intel Edison products must be placed with Intel
by September 16, 2017. All orders placed with Intel for Intel Edison products
are non-cancelable and non-returnable after September 16, 2017.
The company hasn't shared any explanation
for why it is discontinuing the aforementioned development boards.

-- Jeff Jonas