[vcf-midatlantic] WTB: DECbrouter

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Jun 27 14:43:45 EDT 2017

On 06/27/2017 01:21 PM, Kenneth Seefried via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>> Hehe, I forgot about the IGS (not my favorite router). The IGS wasn't one of
>> the 68K line. I think it was one of the first 4K (RISC) processors. I think
>> the IGS also went to 10.x. but don't quote me on that.
>
> No.  The IGS was contemporary with the AGS/MGS/CGS and it's 68k based.
> The first MIPS based routers (3600 & 7200?) were at least 2
> generations away (on the low end, the 3000 (?) then the 2500 series
> came after, and were also 68k based).

  The 4500 was the first MIPS-based Cisco router I saw.  While I don't
know that it was the first, it does predate the 3600 and 7200 families
by quite a few years.  It followed the 4000, which was 68K-based.

> I know my IGS (long gone) ran
> IOS 8.x (upgraded from 6.x as I recall), and there was 9.x update that
> involved swapping PROMs.  Never saw 10 on an IGS; that would have been
> a very, very tight fit since the IGS only had 1 or 2M RAM.  Pretty
> sure 10.x ran on the AGS+ if you had enough memory.

  10.x can indeed run on the AGS+.  I've never seen it on any smaller
*GS router.

> Played around with IOS 15.5 the other day...times have changed.

  Yeah but it's still IOS, and still looks a whole lot like TOPS-20. :-)

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA