[vcf-midatlantic] WTB: DECbrouter

systems_glitch systems.glitch at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 16:13:18 EDT 2017

V.35 sync serial. You can *get* V.35 cards for PCs, but I'd imagine it's
not supported in most OSes I'd want to do routing in (namely, OpenBSD). I
specifically want a DECbrouter because it'll plug into the DEChub 90 I've
got.

I could certainly run SLIP or PPP over a serial interface to something
else, but I'm interested in the DECbrouter because it's supposed to be a
DEC/Cisco group effort. I've read a few places that it even runs IOS. The
command reference makes this seem likely...it's very IOSish but with DEC
specific stuff, like grabbing your firmware over MOP.

At the end of the day, I'm just wanting to hack on old network hardware,
there's no practicality in running V.35 sync serial between two networks in
the lab when both are Ethernet (for the most part) anyway. The DEChub 90
currently has its own Ethernet interface on one of the routers, but with
the DECbrouter in, it'll have a V.35 serial interface to the Cisco 2801
that's my main router/gateway and handles the aDSL line. I may hang a Cisco
2501 off of the second serial port on the DECbrouter.

Looks like I found one in Australia for a reasonable price. I've ordered an
adapter cable for V.35 from Vnetek, the company that bought the company
that DEC sold their small network stuff to. $13 plus shipping for a brand
new cable, not bad!

Thanks,
Jonathan

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 3:07 PM, Dave McGuire via vcf-midatlantic <