[vcf-midatlantic] WTB: DECbrouter

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Jun 27 23:46:02 EDT 2017

On 06/27/2017 10:56 PM, - - wrote:
>     I know my IGS (long gone) ran
>
>         IOS 8.x (upgraded from 6.x as I recall), and there was 9.x
>         update that
>         involved swapping PROMs. Never saw 10 on an IGS; that would have
>         been
>         a very, very tight fit since the IGS only had 1 or 2M RAM. Pretty
>         sure 10.x ran on the AGS+ if you had enough memory.
>
>     10.x can indeed run on the AGS+. I've never seen it on any smaller
>     *GS router.
>
> CGS/MGS/AGS/ACS all had the same processor back plane so if it had
> enough memory it could run the IOS. The AT&T Model 200 BRouter (CGS)
> I have has a CSC3 (68030) with at least 9.x. The ACS (Dave?) has 9.x also.

  Nice.  I've never heard of the ACS, though.  There was a
"communications server", more or less a terminal server in that family,
maybe that was it, but I don't recall the model name.

>         Played around with IOS 15.5 the other day...times have changed.
>
>     Yeah but it's still IOS, and still looks a whole lot like TOPS-20. :-)
>
> That would be because Cisco was influenced by the DEC equipment CLI.
>
> I spoke with the developers in 1989 about that.

  Yup.  Not to name-drop, but one of the founders lives a few blocks
from here.  He was quite excited to see the DECsystem-2020s here.  I got
a nice contract job from him (embedded systems design) too, which was
very cool.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ