[vcf-midatlantic] WTB: DECbrouter

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jun 28 15:21:04 EDT 2017

  I didn't say it was impossible, I said it was pretty tough to do.
We've all seen those interfaces, and those of us (myself included) who
have used them have run up against the same old problem of driver
availability, OS version dependencies, etc etc.  Cisco was quite pleased
about all of that, as it certainly didn't hurt their exponential growth
in the 1990s.

  In fact the first widely-deployed router that was capable of routing
IP on a T3 at wire speed while handling BGP was an IBM RS/6000 7012-320
with a synchronous serial card in it, bundled by IBM as the 6611 Network
Processor.

  But this is not the norm by any stretch.  The fact that it can be
done, and was very occasionally done, isn't really the point.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA