[vcf-midatlantic] Colossal Cave Adventure on AMC website

Adam Rosen adam at oakbog.com
Thu Jun 29 09:35:01 EDT 2017

> On Jun 29, 2017, at 8:52 AM, Dan Roganti via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:
>>>>
>>> Funny this is brought up.
>>> Today at work someone sent me a version of colossal cave on z/VM.
>>> They said they used to have a game called "star trek" too.
>>> The files are from 1994 I think it was?
>>> I have gotten some other fun clock programs and such from other people.
>>> I wonder what else people have laying around on their VM accounts!
>>>
>>> -Connor K
>>>

>> I know IBM also had various versions of "Star Trek" and other games  for
>> the S/38, I have played some of them after being ported to the AS/400, they
>> where also available for the S/36 and I would imagine the S/34 as well.
>> --
>> Matt Patoray
>> Owner, MSP Productions
>> KD8AMG
>
> ​I read somewhere before that Star Trek​ is the one game that has been
> ported the most times of any game,
> beginning with their Text game to the various color graphics versions on
> the many home computers and later on for the PC, Amiga, and others.
> Dan
> --
> _  ____
> / \__/   Scotty, We Need More Power !!
> \_/ _\__ Aye, Cap'n, but we've only got 80 col's !!

I think I have seen versions of Adventure (or Colossal Cave Adventure, Zork, etc.) on computers from mainframes through 1980s desktops.  It has made me think it would be an interesting quest to play the game on every type of computer it was ported to and document the progress!

So is Star Trek actually more common than Adventure?

Adam