[vcf-midatlantic] Semi-OT: microcontollers (?)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 29 13:43:05 EDT 2017

On 06/29/2017 01:37 PM, Dan Roganti via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>> Absolutely agree that old "microcontrollers" are relevant.
>>
>> Old ones, yes. When I posted that microcontroller discussion should be
>> semi-OT I meant the new ones.
>
> ​I really don't think they even use that phrase any longer for the new
> stuff, eg Raspberry PI, et al
> I think only for the Arduino style boards since its still an 8bitter, but
> even the newer Arduino boards are 32bit processors now
> They are more apt to refer them as SoC's in regard to the new Processors
> Because of their complexity, either 32bits or 64bits cpu, and a Buttload of
> I/O interfaces
> And so they are regarded more as a Embedded controller, even though it's a
> old term, indicating their advanced complexity.

  This is dangerous territory.  There are plenty of absolutely current
processors which just happen to be 8-bit architectures.  8-bits doesn't
imply anything at all about age.  (I know YOU know this, this is mainly
for the benefit of folks here who might be stuck on certain assumptions)

  And I sincerely hope nobody here actually considers RPi to be a
"microcontroller"...with its video, keyboard/mouse interface, network
interface...  Wow. ;)

  There are a lot of gray areas and certainly quite a bit of overlap.

               -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA