[vcf-midatlantic] Semi-OT: microcontollers (?)

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Thu Jun 29 15:36:44 EDT 2017

I find Evan's responses satisfactory, and reasonable. If he says he
wasn't opposed to old microcontroller discussions, good; sorry for my
misunderstanding. And I wasn't out to attack him personally; just
ideologically.

I think prolonged discussions here of modern tools and architectures, in
modern context, are to be discouraged. But as they are relevant to
support vintage computing - RaspPi's emulating, WiFi chips on Commodore
64's, vintage architectures, etc. - then discussion is useful. I guess
Evan started that discussion to make that point.

Another discussion group, supports the COSMAC 1802. There's recent
discussions there, of how USB/serial dongles complicate use of the 1802
at 2Mhz with a bit-banged (low baud rate, low response) serial
interface. That discussion won't occur in USB world, or in Windows world
- they would find such applications inexpiable, foreign. But I don't
participate in those worlds - too "new".

Thus discussion groups limit their range, for purpose.

Herb Johnson

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net