[vcf-midatlantic] Semi-OT: microcontollers (?)

Jameel Akari jakari at bithose.com
Thu Jun 29 16:09:08 EDT 2017

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017, Dave McGuire via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

> On 06/29/2017 03:45 PM, - - wrote:
>>
>>     There are a lot of gray areas and certainly quite a bit of overlap.

Absolutely.  You could define some arbitrary lines here, but why?

>> 8018x - Microcontroller
>
>  There are full-blown MS-DOS PCs built around these.

Some (all?) IBM Xstations (sold alongside RS/6000 installs) were 80186 -
not exactly high performance workstations, but I think the only place I've
personally seen a '186 in the wild.  I trash-picked older RS/6000s to
replace these rather terrible machines. ;)

>> 68HC11 - Microcontroller (I have the A0 which has the ROM disabled)

Glad this got mentioned only because it is still a favorite of mine.

Maybe I'll try to hack a bus together between a Raspberry Pi, my SYM-1,
and one of my 68HC11 EVBs. </troll>

--
Jameel Akari