[vcf-midatlantic] Live auctions at VCF-East?

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Thu Mar 9 21:00:16 EST 2017

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017, Kelly Leavitt via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

> My opinion on auctions is a resounding NO.
>
> After years of "running" the consignment area, the people coming there
> are not interested in spending money (except for Ian).
>
> I've seen great items, with reasonable but high prices go unsold because
> they were priced at more than a dollar or two.
>
> Hams are cheap, but VCF nerds make them look like big spenders.
>
> Maybe if we took the time to advertise it, have some key items, and were
> allowed set minimums then yes, but that would have to be a dedicated job
> for someone. Not something else to dump on the folks running the show.

    I'd like to offer my observations on a specific auction format I saw at
VCF Midwest, last September.  The auction was to solely benefit VCFMW, so
all items were donated, either prior to the show or at the show itself.
Items were still coming in while the auction was in progress. The auction
was low pressure, and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

    Because all of the proceeds went to VCFMW, there was no complicated
record-keeping, just a list of who won and for how much.  And yes, Ian DID
buy quite a few things.  :-)

    I'm not saying that we should go this direction, just saying that it
does work in another venue.

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us