[vcf-midatlantic] 8-Bit Generation - Jay Miner (and friends) devices

Douglas Crawford touchetek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 20:18:54 EDT 2017

On 3/13/2017 5:21 PM, John Heritage via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> I just watched the 8-bit generation video finally, narrated by the
> excellent Bil Herd :).  Whoever here had a hand in putting that together,
> thank you so much!
>
> ..
>
> One take-away I have from this video I haven't seen/read elsewhere is that
> it seems like the only "Jay Miner engineered device" that was ever properly
> marketed by parent company was the Atari 2600?
>
> i.e.
> - Original Atari/Bushnell wanted to kill the 2600 kinda early
>
> - Warner Atari did a big marketing push in 1980-1981 and that made the 2600
> super successful.
>
> - Neither Bushnell nor Warner seemed to know what to do with the Atari
> 400/800.  You can see this in the initial high price, and also in locking
> out the system to developers early on (which imo is why it lost to the
> Apple II).
>
> - We all know the story of how Commodore didn't know what to do with the
> Amiga 1000..
>
> And if you count the 3DO with RJ Mical and others as a descendant device,
> that too could have been handled better...
>
> Am I off the rocker here?
>
> There is some irony that the only Jay Miner device that was properly
> marketed was handled by "New York Blue Shirts"...  I know the Amiga was a
> mis-managed device but I often feel like the Atari 400/800 deserves that
> award just as much as it was the first home computer to show the real
> benefit of custom chips, and at launch in 1979-1980 was way more powerful
> and capable than contemporaries..
>
> John
I appreciate this kind of analysis!  Thanks for offering it.
 > Am I off the rocker here?
I think not.  Your assessment seems reasonable to me.
I never saw the parallel of the Atari and Amiga as custom chip machines
that similarly failed.
On the other hand, VIC and the C64 succeeded - wildly- and we probably
would all agree
this was largely due to their custom chips.
What were the "NY Blue Shirts"?