[vcf-midatlantic] help dumping rom of rare coin-op arcade game

Dan Roganti ragooman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 18:44:58 EDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Andrew Molloy via vcf-midatlantic <

> Thanks guys, I will stay away from the minipro for sure. Maybe Mike's Data
> I/O would be the way to go.
>
> Andy

​if all you want to do is Read the contents, you can use just about any
microcontroller with enough I/O pins
and read the contents and store it in a text file or even format this into
a hex file.
This Prom is still TTL compatible, Bipolar just refers to the technology
used in creating the storage
And so the microcontroller would need to be 5v or 5v tolerant,
use any breadboard big enough
the Prom has standard address/data and control signals,
And the pins FE1/FE2 aren't needed because that's only used for programming
Any simple program can read this, just as reading an ordinary Ram chip.

​Now Data I/O programmers are usually the safest path to go, most are
expensive but there are still options,
and there's one for sale that's not much more than what you found,
eB at y item number:112246295959, only $49, there's no Prime shipping, but
that's the breaks,
and this supports a wide array of devices including these Proms
this is a very good resource list on Data I/O programmers
http://matthieu.benoit.free.fr/DATAIO_212_programmer_resources.htm
and bitsavers has the databook
ftp://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/signetics/_dataBooks/1975_Signetics_Bipolar_Memories.pdf
Dan