[vcf-midatlantic] Help IDing card

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Mar 20 15:26:39 EDT 2017

   Wow THAT brings back some memories.  But no, that shouldn't work on
this board.  That executes the formatter code in the onboard BIOS
extension ROM that's present on XT controllers, but not on (most) AT
controllers.  One formats these using external software, originally the
IBM Advanced Diagnostics disk.

   If memory serves, the WD1006 is a faster version of the standard
WD1003 MFM controller for the 16-bit ISA bus.  while the WD1003 needed
some sector interleaving (at least 3:1, if I remember right) because it
couldn't keep up, the WD1006 could run with no (i.e., "1:1") sector
interleave.

   This controller talks to standard MFM drives and does not do RLL.
There are versions of the WD1006 controller that do, however.

   This is from very dusty neurons, so be careful.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA