[vcf-midatlantic] Jason Scott is making a renewed push to image Apple ][ software...

Joseph Oprysko joprysko1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 13:25:19 EDT 2017

The thing with the various cracking group titles, it's early demo scene
music and graphics. Occasionally pushing the limits of the machines. I
think those are important as artifacts as well.

I do understand the requests for the silent cracks as well. But do you have
the skills/know someone with the skills to do that?  That's where things
might get a bit difficult, as much of that requires intimate knowledge of
both the copy protection schemes as well as being able to code in machine
language.

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 11:37 PM Jonathan Gevaryahu via vcf-midatlantic <

> I've got two boxes of stuff i need to inventory and ship him already...
>
> On 3/21/2017 5:51 PM, Mark Whittington via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> > Jason (of archive.org and textfiles.com fame) is renewing efforts to
> track
> > down and image as much of the existing original Apple ][ software as
> > possible.
> >
> > More info here, summary below --
> http://ascii.textfiles.com/archives/5180
> >
> > In short, a lot of the software that's been archived so far was sourced
> > from cracked versions that were often modified greatly from the original
> > releases.  There's now a team of very skilled folks who want to be sure
> > that the pristine versions of these programs are archived and that
> > so-called "silent crack" versions are available for future generations to
> > enjoy.  In this context, a "silent crack" is one that removes the copy
> > protection and nothing more, and without adding crack screens or
> > attributions.
> >
> > They're getting to the end of the collections that they already have and
> > are putting out the call for more from people who may have collections
> > sitting around gathering dust in boxes.
> >

> > <
> >
> > Virus-free.
> > <