[vcf-midatlantic] Jason Scott is making a renewed push to image Apple ][ software...

Hagstrom, Paul hagstrom at bu.edu
Wed Mar 22 23:53:30 EDT 2017

Without getting too deep into this: nothing that uses the Disk II analog board (that is, essentially, the Disk II drive) is exempt from the worry about missing/false bits.  It's the signal amplifier on the board inside the drive that causes this.  The bits captured in EDD files bypass the state machine on the Disk II controller card, that's the point of the EDD+ card.  So, while the state machine does filter the actual bits on the disk a bit, the EDD+ card captures them before the state machine does its filtery magic.  For capturing the flux on the disk perfectly, something like CatWeasel, DiscFerret, SuperCard Pro, Kyroflux -- hooked up to a more modern drive -- is the thing to use.  They have a more precise head, access to an index signal for synchronization, and doesn't have the overactive auto-gain amplification problem that the Disk II has.  I also find that "modern" drives scrape the disks more, and they don't handle flipped disks without hardware mods, so I prefer the Disk II for anything it can read sufficiently well.  And, also, though these flux stream files have been producible for a while, the software to do the analysis of them has never gotten really beyond the point of converting standard 16-sector unprotected disks into DSK images, and hasn't moved in a long time.

I'm not aware of anyone advocating for throwing out a bit image after a cracked/normalized copy has been produced.  Or throwing away a 1980s warez group's crack.  Our storage is measured in terabytes now.  Keep them all.  4am's Passport auto-cracking program handles a large number of common protections and verifies the disks, it's the best thing out there for verifying a read of a disk was good.  If you have an emulator that can boot a protected disk image, perfect -- otherwise, a silent crack that preserves the loading art, etc. is better than a defaced crack that put the pirate's name over the authors and removed original game art to do it.  But the defaced crack is an artifact in its own right, too -- I just wouldn't call it a preserved copy of the original software.  But there's no reason to throw things away, I'm not sure why this would be a worry.

One actual worry would be that a disk's bits would fall off before a proper image is made -- and if a failed imaging attempt isn't detected before that happens, the window could be missed.  So, that's the downside to not having a good way to test a disk read.  But the process of testing a protected disk to see if the read was good can I think in principle only be as good as what Passport does.  It tries to get the disk to read itself and see if it can read all of the tracks it is supposed to be able to read.  Blindly checking an image can reveal that there are damaged areas, but they might be part of the protection itself and "properly" damaged.  Passport brings some knowledge of expectations to the verification task.

Anyway, EDD is a good format that squeezes about as much as the Apple II can from a Disk II drive.  And the Apple II is what needs to read these, in the end.  The thing John's working on improves on that by increasing the resolution (and also not requiring an actual Apple II in the loop, making the imaging workflow quite a bit more painless).  Both formats can increase the number of samples of each track and improve reliability.  And both are still limited by the capability of the drive itself, its fat head, not 100% consistent rotation speed, and probably the onboard signal amplifier it uses.

All in all it's better not to wait for the perfect imaging solution if that arrives after all the bits have fallen off the disks.  Image now, EDD will work most of the time.  Image later again if there's a better imager and the disks are still ok, and maybe some of the things that didn't work properly using EDD (or would have taken a lot of surgery/syncing) can be imaged properly.

Anyway, let me stop there.  That's me "not getting too deep into this."

 -Paul