[vcf-midatlantic] C-65 on eBay

Anthony Becker mayhemmby at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 05:44:34 EDT 2017

C65 would have (in theory) been cheaper than the 128 that included three
computers in one. The 64 emulation was done in software instead of hardware
and you dont have to include a Z80 processor anymore to get everything
booting properly. Since most people bought floppy drives anyway, with the
65 you no longer needed two power supply bricks since both power by one, it
likely would have ended up cheaper than buying a 128 and floppy.

It also included upgraded video and sound over the 128/64 with 80 column
color displaying more colors on screen than the non HAM modes on the Amiga
and stereo sound through two SID chips.It would have made a great machine
if developed around the 128 timeframe instead of after the 1000 was out and
during development of the 500 which was a machine with a lot more future in
it than the 65 which was an 8-bit end of the line.

C65 was not mass produced. It was about as close to consumer production as
it could get, though. It was being sent out to developers to start making
hardware and software for it in preparation for mass release.That is why
the casework and everything is close to finished though non have any
badging yet and generally are missing finishing touches like a RAM door on
the underside. Also why there are a number of them in the hands of people
both from sales off of Commodore assets and from developers who had them
and were getting rid of things afterit was clear Commodore was not coming
out of Chapter 11 (I got mine from CMD)

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 1:53 AM, John Heritage via vcf-midatlantic <