Digest, Vol 25, Issue 3: PET keyboard question

SVCatITC at aol.com SVCatITC at aol.com
Sat Nov 4 09:51:38 EDT 2017

Hey Bill Degnan. and All;

I will offer my $ 0.02 for what it's worth.

Why not try the  "sandpaper" trick.

Before you all look at me like I used a "stupid rock" to beat my head with,
 consider the following,
with a little latitude.  This technique has worked for me with little  to
no invasive infrastructure intrusion.

History...

I have a Radio Shack Realistic universal TV remote I bought in the  80's,
and over the course of it's
life, I have had to open it up and service the keypad carbon pads about 3
times, when the keys
don't work.  I first cleaned with Isopropyl, but initially found that  it
did not cure the keypad failure
when reassembled.  Using regular 10# stock printer paper, (like
"sandpaper", yeah now you're getting it)
with medium pressure, I polished the carbon pads.  This seems to  remove a
micro oxide crust (I call it)
from the carbon crosspoints, thereby allowing contact when the rubber
carbon pad key is depressed.

I DO NOT recommend using a pencil eraser.  Way too abrasive!

The remote operates the widescreen 1080 DP  TV to this day, every  night,
with no issues.

Hopefully you are not laughing too hard!

Bill Inderrieden

In a message dated 11/3/2017 12:01:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,