[vcf-midatlantic] LSSM visit

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Mon Nov 6 19:15:45 EST 2017

    We had a very productive hacking session yesterday at Dave McGuire's Large
Scale Systems Museum.  We managed to get his HP 2117F mini running, after
finding some flaky DIP switches on one of the 64KW memory boards.  I brought
my HPDrive emulator and the requisite HP-IB boot loader PROMS for the 2117F,
and we were able to load and run diagnostics from an emulated 9144 tape drive.

    Several of the front panel switch toggles on the 2117F were broken on one
side, and one was completely broken.  We pulled the switch assembly from a
previously mouse-infested donor unit, and I showed Dave how to replace the
switch toggles.

    The external Floating Point Processor unit I brought to complete the 2117F
turned out to have an overload problem, tripping the internal breaker/switch.
It would power up with either of the two internal boards installed, but not
both.  Dave thinks it may be just leaky caps.

    We also verified the operation of one of his 2645A terminals, and used it
for running diagnostics.  Matt and Chris cleaned up and evaluated a 7905A 15MB
cartridge disc drive.  It has the requisite 13037 controller and cables, and
should connect right up to the interface card in the 2117F.  Needs a good disc
pack, tnough.  Dave says he should be able to disassemble and clean the pack
that was in the drive.

    Matt Patoray was there, along with Chris (?) and Dan Roganti.  We
accomplished a lot.

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us