[vcf-midatlantic] Galaga Challenge at Festivus

Ethan telmnstr at 757.org
Thu Nov 9 11:21:53 EST 2017

> I too prefer the original. But unless we all agree to go to yestercades
> and play the standup arcade machine, or if my wife would let me get that
> one in NY that's galaga and ms PAC man, (there are actually a couple
> floating around for $1500-$2500) I'll play whatever version we have
> handy! :-) Tony

I actually have a Galaga machine at home :-) Picked it up years ago,
recently rebuilt the bottom of the cabinet as it got wet and deteriorated.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Silverball Museum at Asbury Park has a
Galaga on the floor. I go there with friends every time I go to VCF East.
Recommended for all, there is a flat rate for all day and hourly. No coin
drop. Although next year I have to visit another arcade, Eight on the
Break in Jersey.

The one thing about the original Galaga is the boardset wasn't made very
well. The PCB material is thin, and it tends to warp badly over time.
There are SIP resistor packs that are known to fail, and a ribbon cable
that connects the video board to the cpu board that also has issues. A
number of the chips on the board are custom to thwart reproduction, but
there was a reproduction (pirated version) known as the Gallag board that
used a 4th Z80 to emulate custom chips.

 			- Ethan O'Toole