[vcf-midatlantic] relaying the news: Oregon Train revisited

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Thu Nov 9 13:12:45 EST 2017

 > a playable version of the classic Apple ][-era adventure game
 > Oregon Trail to promote Oregon tourism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oregon_Trail_(series)

Over the decades, I kept stumbling over implementations of this game; so
it's caught my attention (I don't "game".) Most recently, I accidentally
watched an episode of "Teen Titans", a current cartoon about DC comics
teen heroes (essentially slacker teens with a clubhouse).

It apparently started as a BASIC time-shared program in 1971. The basis
of the game is "some research in some diaries of people who actually
made the trip on Oregon Trail", from a 2013 interview of the first
developer, in Minnesota.

http://yesterthenfornow.kinja.com/an-interview-with-the-teacher-turned-developer-behind-o-1529659314

HMH IP Company Unlimited (parent of The Learning Company) a company that
produces educational gaming,  appears to have a current trademark for
"The Oregon Trail", from 2017. Their IPO (stock offering) of 2013 lists
The Oregon Trail as one of their premier titles. There's a current
card-game, produced by Pressman, that's available at Amazon and Target.

The diaries themselves, are historic documents, accumulated by various
people and organizations; some are still held by families. In the
1970's, they were researched by authors and scholars. A Web search for
"Oregon trail diaries" finds a few online, and discussion about them.

  http://www.oregonpioneers.com/diaries.htm
http://www.octa-trails.org/articles/oregon-trail-diaries

Herb Johnson

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net