[vcf-midatlantic] apple /// cobol

David Gesswein djg at pdp8online.com
Mon Nov 20 13:46:00 EST 2017

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:48:04AM -0500, Herb Johnson via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

> What I'm saying, is that there was a substantial and significant
> "business market" served by early microcomputers. Thus, they
> supported mainframe computer languages of the day: FORTRAN and
> COBOL. BASIC has its own history, both as a microcomputing language,
> and as a language used on timesharing mainframe systems.
>
> But over time, microcomputing for business was done with interactive
> applications - spreadsheets, database products, word-processing.
> Users stopped becoming their own "programmers", but everyone used a
> spreadsheet. In fact, it's an interesting question - when did
> microcomputer owners STOP becoming "programmers" and simply became
> end-users? (I think it's interesting....)

I recently got my Uncle to write up his PDP-8 usage which demonstrates this
with the buisiness office machine though for 12 vs 8 bits. He thought the
replacement was based on off the shelf packages.

http://www.pdp8online.com/memories/john_pdp8.shtml

Trying to collect more first hand stories. Got one more so far.