Digest, Vol 25, Issue 21, Message 4 "HAASOScope"

SVCatITC at aol.com SVCatITC at aol.com
Tue Nov 21 17:34:29 EST 2017

Thanks Very Much Herb for the technical lecture.

Us old farts will agree with you on the analog scope versatility, and I
also agree
with the functionality of the new "finagled" stuff  out there  now.  The
latter makes
capturing and documenting the triggered event (for later analysis) easy,
rather than
the Polaroid coupled cameras to the old Tektronix 548 fire breathing
monsters' screen
of the day.  This feature is great for documenting screen  shots in reports
to customers.

I find though that you have to sometimes "help" the new technology by
"presetting"
the "window" where you might want to look, otherwise trigger thresholds
might
lose the event.  You may not know exactly where to find the  "glitch" in
the "haystack".

>From my experience, analog gives you the "widescreen view" of the
disturbance and
you can then "zoom" in on the area of interest.

The 20 MHz luggable that I bring into the museum does not have the
bandwidth to
check at what frequency the TR20 power supplies are oscillating at (as an
example),
however as you well noted, you do not necessarily care about the exact
quantity to
know you have to kill the "screaming" and make a quiet  supply for analog
work.

The analog scope sets up easy for a quick GO/NOGO check.

As always, many thanks for the thought provoking insight.

Bill Inderrieden

In a message dated 11/21/2017 12:04:17 P.M. Eastern Standard  Time,