[vcf-midatlantic] apple /// cobol

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 13:14:46 EST 2017

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 12:40 PM, Glenn Holmer via vcf-midatlantic <

> From: Glenn Holmer <cenbe at kolabnow.com>
> To: vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org
> Bcc:
> Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 11:40:31 -0600
> Subject: Re: [vcf-midatlantic] apple /// cobol
> On 11/19/2017 12:28 PM, Herb Johnson via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> >> anyone use apple /// cobol, used it back when
> > . ... Waterloo Cobol for the SuperPET
> >
> > There were a number of 8-bit COBOLs. CP/M versions in particular. I only
> > used it on mainframes, and not much at that.
>
> There were at least two COBOLs for the Commodore 64: Abacus COBOL and
> Nevada COBOL for '64 with the CP/M cartridge.
>
> --
> Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)
> "After the vintage season came the aftermath -- and Cenbe."

OK, if there are no people who used Apple /// Cobol, who here even used an
Apple /// at all *back then (1980-1985) as their main PC.   I am not
expecting many.  I could see being a student and using it to test code
before uploading to the production environment, or in some cases for small
business or consultants using a micro for Cobol.

There were a number of Cobol applications for micros, I just never heard of
anyone using the Apple /// version.  Seems like it would have been nice,
but I think I would have used an IBM PC version or a Tandy CP/M version,
personally.  Or, if possible access my production environment using a
terminal. It was very popular for people at DuPont when I worked there to
take home VT 220 terminals to access the servers from home.  Mostly IBM
stuff where I was.

Bill