[vcf-midatlantic] vacuum tube computers, was Re: Museum Report 2017-11-26 November 26, 2017

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 22:57:08 EST 2017

Jeff

Get an old smart phone and open it up to expose the circuit board, show to
the visitor and ask the person to note how small the individual components
are, like a little city.  Many differnt types of components
  Then, say before computer board components got small enough to make
things like smart phones possible they used tubes and other larger
components to do the same sort of things.  Tubes used a lot more power and
generated a lot more heat than today's equivalents.

If a smart phone was full of tubes and associated 50's era components
instead of today's smaller components the phone would have to be the size
of Camp Evans.

The MIT machine we have in the museum display is not anything like a cell
phone however it's an analog computer sort of.  Its more actually a bunch
of Philco analog rack units that would have been part of a larger system
plus a plotter and instruments generating "input".  I have materials at my
house that explain some of the rack components I promise next time I come
up I'll try to put something together to explain what the MIT computer
likely would have done.  Also, as they are now the rack components are in a
disorganized impractical configuration. We need to put them together into a
more likely configuration asap.  That would be a good thing to do next
workshop.  The process of researching the components will help expose it's
function and help docents explain it.

As Dave said, an analog computer used tubes for different reasons than a
digital computer with logic  tubes.  There were many different kinds of
tubes then, as today there are different kinds of transistors.

Bill Degnan
twitter: billdeg
vintagecomputer.net
On Nov 26, 2017 9:22 PM, "Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic" <