[vcf-midatlantic] Museum inventory

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Tue Nov 28 17:02:12 EST 2017

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

> Mike L. posted: "It bothers me greatly that we don't have a record of our
> holdings.  We should have pictures of each item, along with make, model, s/n
> and donor info, at the least. ... I urge people to move on this."
>
> The VCFed board and I completely agree.
>
> It's already underway. Adam has been our greatest asset on this project. For
> some sick, twisted reason that I don't understand :) he * enjoys * being
> alone in the warehouse and counting stuff. He already counted our different
> models of Apple, Atari, and Commodore gear.

    That's good to hear.  Is he taking pictures?  With pics, you can go back
and look at something without having to physically be there.  Not out-of-focus
cell phone pics, but real SLR pics.  And, they could eventually be added to
whichever database system we decide to use, if only internally.

> Jeff and I would love to arrange an inventory weekend when several members
> show up to work on this and nothing else. It will be important that everyone
> follow directions :) and not waste time on the minutiae of tiny bits.
> Over-inventorying is a trap to avoid. We needn't count every joystick, floppy
> disk, and power cable. Trying to do so would be functionally impossible.
> Instead, we're counting computers, major peripherals, and "box of TRS-80
> software" or whatever the case may be.

    I would be willing to travel for an inventory working weekend.

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us