[vcf-midatlantic] vax scsi questions

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 08:39:56 EDT 2017

>> >Guessing there us a way from the >>> prompt to change a drive's volune,
>> >but I did not find a way to do it.
>>
>> From the dead sergeant, you can select a boot device.  Volume information
>> --
>> label, structure, ownership, etc., etc. -- are manifestated in the
>> operating
>> system (VMS).  If you had an issue with the device on SCSI id 2, you could
>> have physically removed that drive.  The device would then not appear in
>> the
>> device configuration and the MOUNT command would fail:
>>
>> %MOUNT-F-NOSUCHDEV, no such device available
>>
>> Assuming there is no ON ERROR in the startup procedures, your system
>> should
>> then boot through the system startup to the point where you can login.  At
>> that point, you can reconnect the device and issue:
>>
>> $ MCR SYSGEN AUTOCONFIGURE ALL
>>
>> Then, a:
>>
>> $ SHOW DEVICE D
>>
>> should show you your disk devices including the device at DKx200:.

one last thing...I only had one bootable drive, and I could only get to the
$ prompt from the drive that was configured to mount and load some stuff
from the ID=2 drive.  What you suggest above would work, but would still
have to have done what I did to get into minimal boot, etc.  At least in
VMS 5 minimal boot does not mount nor include any other drive than the boot
drive in a $ show dev d.

Bill