[vcf-midatlantic] re-marked ICs

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Tue Oct 10 11:50:25 EDT 2017

http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/chip_re-labeling.html

There was some discussion in this list, about pulled vintage IC's being
relabeled with different datecodes, brands, sometimes the wrong
function. An ancient TTL chip was actually a touch-tone decoder chip -
ONE IC! The depth of this problem, down to handfulls of chips selling
for little, surprised me.

So I gathered some details from the sources and participants, added
discussion from another vintage list, and created a Web page to report
on the issue and practices. My thanks for their permission and reportage.

I'd welcome an email from any who stumble over this problem, when buying
some part to fix a S-100 card or other vintage microcomputer.

Herb Johnson

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net