[vcf-midatlantic] VMS question

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 15:25:31 EDT 2017

A while back I was working on my MicroVAX and I had a few OS and hardware
setbacks.  I have finally gotten back to where I was before.

So, I have a question for you VMS admins out there.

I can log into my Microvax 3100 as SYSTEM remotely the FQDN is
microvax3100.vintagecomputer.net. I am having issues adding new users.  I
remember asking about this problem a year ago and Brian helped me fix it at
VCF E 12 I think, but I forget how he fixed it.

I can create a user (for Evan K to try) and I can log in, but it
immediately logs me out.  I get the following error:

Username: EKOBLENTZ
Password:
        Welcome to VAX/VMS version V5.5-2 on node COBUCK
    Last interactive login on Thursday, 19-OCT-2017 15:14
%Sorry, your default device is unavailable for login, try again later...

  EKOBLENTZ    logged out at 19-OCT-2017 15:14:38.56

I remember Brian S fixed this problem, and it's not a user setup issue
within AUTH, there is something else I need to do to allow non SYSTEM users
to log in.

This is not a production server but I do have it up and running now, if
anyone who can advise needs the SYSTEM password just send me an email and I
will send to you.  Please if you fix, I need to document the fix so I can
know how to create a new user.

Here is the process I am using:

$ set process/privileges=all
$ set default sys$system:
$ run authorize
UAF> show [100,*] /brief
UAF> add EKOBLENTZ /uic=[100,30] /account=COBK
UAF> modify EKOBLENTZ /password=password
UAF> modify EKOBLENTZ /device=sys$sysdevice
UAF> modify EKOBLENTZ /directory=[EKOBLENTZ]
UAF> modify EKOBLENTZ /owner="Evan Koblentz"
UAF> modify EKOBLENTZ /nopwdexpir /flag=nodisuser
UAF> modify EKOBLENTZ /defprivileges=(TMPMBX, OPER, NETMBX)
/privileges=(TMPMBX, OPER, NETMBX)
UAF> modify EKOBLENTZ /flags=nodisuser
UAF> exit
$ create /directory /owner=[100,30] COBK$DATA:[COBK.PERSONAL.ekoblentz]
/OWNER=[ekoblentz]

SO...What else do I need to do?  I know my SYSTARTUP_V5.COM is a little
screwy (yes I am using VMS 5.2) and I need to clean it up, but I don't
think the problem described above is related to the system start script.  I
seem to remember Brian going into a directory someplace and adding the user
to a table or changing the system to allow a certain user to be able to log
in.  What I'd like is to allow any user I create by default to be allowed
to log in, if they have the correct permissions as a user.

Thanks

Bill