[vcf-midatlantic] VMS question

VAXman at tmesis.org VAXman at tmesis.org
Fri Oct 20 09:23:27 EDT 2017

william degnan via vcf-midatlantic writes:

>I noticed when I logged in today a file / info dump printed to the
>screen but when I logged out and in again it was gone.  Perhaps that's
>what you're talking about?
>
>Understand that I did not write SYSLOGIN.COM or any of this
>configuration ... I would not have imagined someone would have a messed
>up SYSLOGIN.COM to cause the issue you described.  There may be another
>explanation.

No, that's the only explanation.  Poorly written DCL logic and a really
stupid premise too.  When somebody logs into VMS, they are granted the
privileges defined in the UAF record.  They then execute ALL subsequent
DCL with the persona (privileges, rights, UIC, etc.) defined in the UAF
record.  There's no way to elevate privileges via ANY DCL command!  The
author of that SYLOGIN seemed to believe otherwise.

>I am trying to "take over" from where they guy that set this machine up
>left off  and learn how this particular server was set up and why.  I
>want to fix, but I also know System administration tends to reflect the
>personality of the admin, people have reasons for things.  I am making
>the assumption that given this was a production system there must be
>some reasons for things.  Eventually I can try to improve.

Never make assumptions!!!  I have seen more systems in production in my
career that look like they were managed and or configured by brain-dead
chimps.  I see people that when told "don't do this" will "do this" and
then, contact me and want their error corrected.  I tell them "you did
what I told you not to do" and "don't do it again!"  Guess what?  They
do it again and again and again.

I have one case now (large gov't organization) that have been told NOT
to do something.  Not only have they NOT heeded my advice but they have
"institutionalized" what I told them NOT to do in they're procedures to
startup the system.  Why???  Here's a gun.  Here's a bullet.  There is
your foot.  Don't shoot yourself in the foot.  Oops!  "Hello, Brian?  I
shot myself in the foot.  Can you help?"

>When I log in using Evan's account, I can get in but I have a disk quota
>exceeded error when I try to generate an email message.
>
>MAIL> mail To:     SMTP%"evan at snarc.net" Subj:   VAX USERN/PASS
>%MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error opening
>COBK$DATA:[COBK.PERSONAL.EKOBLENTZ]MAIL_0128_SEND .TMP; as output
>-RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota
>exceeded

The disk that his account has been assign to IS the system disk.  If
you look, it's very verly low on disk space.  If I were you, I'd move
his account and any other user accounts (save SYSTEM, FIELD, SYSTEST)
OFF OF THE SYSTEM volume.

Personally, if you really are hell bent on keeping the system as it
was delivered, I'd suggest you backup all the volumes and then, init
and start from stratch.  Then, once you know how it all works, you
can go back and see what a mess the prior system's owner(s) left you.