[vcf-midatlantic] VMS question

VAXman at tmesis.org VAXman at tmesis.org
Fri Oct 20 14:12:09 EDT 2017

william degnan via vcf-midatlantic writes:

>To be precise I would type
>
>$ EDIT systartup_v5.com [enter]  (for example)
>
>... and I would be greeted by a screen full of the file, so that I could
>use the cursor to jump around the file.
>
>Now, when I type
>
>$ EDIT systartup_v5.com [enter]
>
>... I see this:
>
>[$] !+++++ C*
>
>My question for you is, did you change the OS to change the way EDIt by
>default works, but more important why is this now happening and how can
>I get into a text editor style mode?

First,  I just logged in and from the SYSTEM account:

$ SHOW SYMBOL E*
  E*DIT == "EDIT/EDT/COMMAND=SYS$LOGIN:EDTINI.EDT"

This SHOULD elicit the EDT behavior you're used to seeing.

Also, and this is what happens when you're using a system configured by
a madman...

$ SHOW LOGICAL E*

(LNM$PROCESS_TABLE)

(LNM$JOB_80746EA0)

(LNM$GROUP_000001)

(LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)

  "EDTINI" = "SYS$MANAGER:EDTINI.EDT"

THis should be:

  "EDTSYS" = "SYS$MANAGER:EDTINI.EDT"

I manually added EDTSYS to the system logical table.

Try things out now.  I am assuming you're using the SYSTEM account for
all you're querying about.