[vcf-midatlantic] IBM PC near-compatibles

Peter Cetinski pete at pski.net
Mon Oct 23 23:20:20 EDT 2017

> On Oct 23, 2017, at 5:26 PM, Herb Johnson via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:
>
> As vintage interest increases in the early IBM PC era computers, and in 386/486 PC's, I have a question. Is there any current interest in the early semi-compatible PC's?
>
> I mean of course, the 8088/88 systems near and after the IBM PC of 1981, where a number of manufacturers made MS-DOS systems which had most of the IBM PC hardware, some PC functionality (or better!) but was not 100% hardware compatible.

Probably pushing your definition here, but...

Veritas Technologies released a DPO (dual processor option) 8088 board for the TRS-80 Model II.  It was a complete 8088 computer on a single board that used the Z80 portion of the Model II for I/O.  It ran CP/M-86 according to reviews and was intended to run MS-DOS.  But few if any of the boards made it into the marketplace before it was dropped.  Apparently they could not get it to work with the Model 12 redesign.

The MicroMerlin was an 8088 expansion device for the smaller TRS-80s which actually was a viable product for awhile.

 http://www.trs-80.org/micromerlin/