[vcf-midatlantic] estate planning

jaj at totallyamused.com jaj at totallyamused.com
Tue Oct 24 17:14:06 EDT 2017

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [vcf-midatlantic] estate planning
From: william degnan via vcf-midatlantic
Date: Tue, October 24, 2017 3:59 pm

>>Herb's comments about estate planning as it relates to the unique aspects
>>of vintage computing hoards has come up a few times lately including the
>>IBM PC near-compatibles thread. I created this new thread per his request.

>>Estate Planning
>>Most likely your collection is not worth as much as you think it is, when
>>you take sales labor into account. Spouses and family often don't care and
>>consider vintage computers junk, and when you go so will your collection
>>(junk pile) Lately how a lot of us acquire our systems, eh? Family
>>members looking to "donate" the items is a nice way of saying dump them,
>>let's face it. These things are NOT like an inheritance of gold coins and
>>one can't just sell them. One has to figure out what they have etc. Most
>>people don't want to do that or can't.

Very true. Often a collection is worth more in pieces - especially on a
market like eBay. I've always just told my wife that if something
happens to me to call Bill Degnan.  But then what? Ideally a few pieces
he would hold on to and then direct the sale and/or donation of the
remaining via some on-line sellers/brokers.  It wouldn't be about a
windfall of money for my family, but more about putting it into the
hands of others that have a need or want for it -- even if the overall
transaction was just break even.

Bill, did I tell you I signed you up for this?

...and apologies in advance if this formats wonky

Justin