[vcf-midatlantic] IBM PC near-compatibles

Joseph Oprysko joprysko1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 09:20:56 EDT 2017

You can’t forget about IBM’s own IBM PC “Near Compatible”. The PCJR. IBM’s
attempt to enter the home computer market. I’m a big fan of the PCJR, but I
could be biased because I had one when growing up. IBM dropped ISA
compatibility completely with it. Each slot in the system was for a
specific type of card, each with different pin counts and slot types. Yes,
they provided for 3rd party expansion through the use of side-cars. But
every port built into the PCJR is specific to the PCJR.

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 9:52 PM Alexander Pierson via vcf-midatlantic <

>  If you count the Sanyo MBC-550/555's as not-quite-PC compatibles, then I
> may have a video that fits that bill.  Time Bandit is the only game I've
> ever seen mentioned for the MBC-555.  It also is the only demonstration of
> the color modes I've witnessed. It's mighty impressive, if you ask me.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN2wnCBQ1uo
>
> -Alexander 'Z' Pierson
>
>     On Tuesday, October 24, 2017, 4:35:48 PM EDT, Jason Howe via
> vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org>
> wrote:
>
>  On 10/23/2017 09:55 PM, Dave McGuire via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> >    If someone like us has a spouse like that (not referring to your wife
> > here Jason, but the rest of the paragraph), then, respectfully, this is
> > treating the symptom.  The problem is a spouse that's simply
> > incompatible at a very fundamental level.  I've come across so many
> > miserable people in that situation, and I just sit and wonder why.
> >
> >                  -Dave
> >

> I completely agree and would never have married a woman who didn't
> respect my hobbies, as that would mean she didn't respect me. Seriously
> WTF would spend the rest of their life with that!?  But, people do it
> all the time for whatever reason.  Anyway, it's not for me to tell
> people how to live their lives -- I can only suggest how they can end
> it...erm...you know what I mean!
>
> --Jason

Normal Person: So you go surfing?
lot...