[vcf-midatlantic] IBM PC near-compatibles

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Wed Oct 25 10:26:13 EDT 2017

Thanks to Joseph Oprysko & Alexander Pierson for their responses about
PCJr and Sanyo MBC-550 respectively. also the posts on Tandy 2000. But
their responses - and the lack of other responses about
near-compatibles, spin-offs to other topics - kinda confirms my points.
That's OK. I asked the question to get confirmation.

The Sanyo video was interesting because it showed a game and some video
modes. (Not my interest but other's interests.) The PCJr is a narrative
about a failure for a notable brand. Tandy by brand, draws interest; and
the 2000 has/had a base of owners or is at least known-to-be.

So for "interest", these near-compatibles have to have a feature, a
brand, a story. And they have to be owned by some number of people
today, to become a collective interest. And old PC's are not-of-interest
(or negative interest) among many classes of vintage computerists.
Otherwise they are simply "not". Hard to establish an interest in a
bunch of "not's".

But one more thing. On an "Antiques Roadshow", I recall an item. It was
a kerosene powered fan! A flame, provided hot-air flow, to rotate a fan.
This was an actual product in the early 20th century. It makes no sense
today, and stopped making sense when electricity became available, at
the same time. Thus all those fans were scrapped, unsold. But
now....they are so rare, they have a bit of value! And are a source of
amusement, as I've described. So may go, some PC near-compatibles.

Herb "not my technology" Johnson

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net