[vcf-midatlantic] IBM PC near-compatibles

Dean Notarnicola dnotarnicola at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 13:24:06 EDT 2017

The AT&T 6300 was an example of a system that was 99.9% compatible with the
IBM standard and actually made inroads to the market because of it. Working
at Simon & Schuster in the 80's, we had many of these machines because
Microsoft Word for DOS had a driver for the 640 x 400 graphics mode that
allowed for WYSIWYG editing, and as well it cost a bit less. Faster than
the XT, the software and 8-bit ISA slot compatibility were very high, but
it had proprietary 16-bit slots which limited it's usefulness in the long
term. Very sturdy machines, however. Hoping to add one to my collection
someday.

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 12:55 PM, Drew Notarnicola via vcf-midatlantic <