[vcf-midatlantic] IBM PC near-compatibles

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Oct 25 14:27:34 EDT 2017

On 10/25/2017 12:26 PM, Earl Baugh via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> Following up on two things.  I have a NEC machine (nicknamed the
> "Herniator" because of it's weight) that came to me via Kyle
> that is a PC near compatible that has 8 inch drives.  Runs MS-DOS.    It at
> least, I'd say, is a little interesting.
> I don't know of many other MS-DOS compatible machines that ran off 8 inch
> floppy.

  That would be a NEC APC, which is a fantastic machine.  It was aimed
squarely at the CAD market, and had very high-end graphics capabilities
for the time, built around a NEC 7220 graphics controller.

  I have one of those machines, but it has an as-yet-undiagnosed
hardware problem.  I hope to get it running someday.

> And in theme with Herb's kerosene powered fan, I actually own a gasoline
> powered clothes iron.
> Looks like a regular small iron but is gasoline powered.  Seriously.

  Neat!

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ