[vcf-midatlantic] OT: Amazon EC2 Question - Safely reduce EBS Size?

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 17:45:46 EDT 2017

Please contact me off list with replies.

I have a server hosted on Amazon that has 750Gb allocated to it, and I
don't need that much space and I'd like to cut it back to cut costs.

Whenever I read about EBS they give examples about to increase the size,
but I could not find anything about reducing the size.  For example here is
a page that shows the expand process
https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/amazon-ebs-update-new-elastic-volumes-change-everything/

So my question - anyone here ever successfully *reduced* an elastic volume
on a production server?  Is it a "smart" process that knows to adjust the
hard drive volume?  How does it work?  Does it ask you which partition to
shave down, should you unallocate the space first then do the volume
reduction, etc?

Please contact me off list with replies.

Bill