[vcf-midatlantic] Inventor of Unix Chroot?

Evan Koblentz evan at vcfed.org
Tue Sep 19 02:29:20 EDT 2017

Help me with a research thingamajig.

I want to find out who made Chroot.

Wikipedia -- purely as a starting point -- shows a comment in the Chroot
talk page stating, "This system call was present [in] AT&T versions of
Unix well before 1982. This citation should be changed to point to an
AT&T version. Indeed, Research's UNIX V7 sources (usr/sys/sys/sysent.c
dated May 7th, 1979) has an entry at position 61 for chroot(2); the fact
is even noted under the article about V7..."

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AChroot#Bill_Joy_did_not_invent_chroot

I know many of you are old-school Unix users/developers and some of you
worked at AT&T.

Who can help me find out which specific people (I need names) actually
invented Chroot?

Evan Koblentz, director
Vintage Computer Federation
a 501(c)(3) educational non-profit