[vcf-midatlantic] VCF West XIII - My experience

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Wed Aug 8 02:04:24 EDT 2018

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018, Jeffrey Brace via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

> Got to meet Steve Russell who created Space War and have him sign a Space
> War t-shirt. Didn't even know the guy was a docent there or what he looked
> like. I saw him in the bathroom and held the door open for him as he uses a
> walker, then later sat down for lunch and found out who he was. You never
> know who you run into there.

    When I visited the CHM in 2005, Lyle Bickley gave us a sneak preview of the
PDP-1 (it wasn't yet open to the public).  He fired it up, and we also played
Space War.  I noticed a speaker on top of the machine, and asked if they had a
music program running.  Lyle said that Peter Samson was helping to recreate
the music synthesizer he wrote at MIT for the PDP-1.  As we were leaving the
room, he said "Oh, there's Peter now!"  He introduced me to Peter, who was
also a docent at the CHM.

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us