[vcf-midatlantic] Museum Report

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Wed Aug 22 03:00:53 EDT 2018

The friends I had in the late 70s / early 80s who had TRS-80s all referred
to them as trash-80s. I was envious of those who had one. I had use of an
IMSAI 8080 with a North Star floppy drive and BASIC, and maybe I was at the
time a little snotty about "real computers have front panel switches", but
this was way before Macs existed, or at least were affordable to students.

I spent many years on 8-bit platforms and the TRS-80 was a nice package.

I wouldn't be offended by the term "trash-80", unless I heard it from
someone who didn't understand just how capable those 8-bit systems were.

No one I knew at the time had an IBM PC because they were way too
expensive, and being able to use more than 64KB ram isn't very useful if
you can't possibly afford that much ram.