[vcf-midatlantic] Schematic work needed

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 10:49:16 EDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 9:33 AM RETRO Innovations via vcf-midatlantic <

> I stand by my original position.  While I agree with Kyle that card in
> hand DMM efforts would likely lead to a good approximation in a short
> time period, ensuring a 100% correct conversion really requires building
> a unit and testing.

Why would ohming out this board not yield a 100% correct schematic? I see
no tricky components that would confuse an ohmmeter except the address
switch, which could be unsoldered.

First thing I typically do is label each component if not already labeled.
I'd probably prefer U1 versus IC1, and I'd label the edge connector and
header probably P1 and P2.

I then take an Excel sheet and place each net on its own row. So the first
row could look like:
IC1-7 IC2-7 IC3-7 IC4-10 IC5-10 C1-L C2-R P2-9 P1-17

As long as you're methodical and have marked every pin as visited, then
perhaps double-check that no two nets actually comprise one larger net,
you're done with the netlist.

Drawing the schematic from the netlist is not difficult, and as long as
you're using a schematic capture tool like KiCad, you can export a netlist
to check against your original one, just to double-check.

Kyle